North Shore Middle School 3veryone Cares Day
On November 26, 2019 the day before Thanksgiving break, everyone at North Shore Middle School did something wonderful and inspiring. Everyone celebrated 3veryone Cares Day together making a positive difference in the lives of others. This was the second day of a series of three E3 days where Everyone Matters, Everyone Cares, Everyone Learns (E3) – the ethos of North Shore Middle School. Last month, the students and faculty go together for a day of health and wellness in celebration of Everyone Matters. Annually on E3 Day, middle school students are encouraged to learn about themselves and others while thinking about ways they can make a positive difference in their school, community, and in places around the world.
Principal Rob Dennis said, “3veryone Cares Day 2019 began with the Annual Thanksgiving breakfast. Our students were served a buffet-style breakfast, prepared by our faculty. All of our students brought in canned goods that are being donated to local food shelters.
During the course of the day, students, faculty and staff engaged in numerous activities and fundraising events, many of which were off-site opportunities for our students and community outside of the school.
Off-Site Opportunities included:
• Performance at the Glen Cove Senior Center
• Elementary School Assistant Teacher of the Day where 8th Graders Go to the Elementary Schools and Be an Assistant Teacher for the Day
• Visit to the Sunrise Glen Cove Assisted Living Facility: to Engage in Fun Activities
• St. Patrick’s Parish Bulb Planting
• Glen Cove Boys & Girls Club Visit to Help Set Up for their Thanksgiving Lunch
• Nature Preserve/Outdoor Clean Up Opportunities including:
o Raking a Difference in the Community
o Bailey Arboretum
o Garvies Point Preserve Clean-up
o Cedarmere Trail Maintenance
o St. Christopher’s Clean-up
• Wash a Firetruck at Glenwood Landing Firehouse
• Sweet Briar Nature Center Clean-up
• Hair We Share (Roslyn)
On-Site Opportunities included:
• Gifts for Foster Kids (Teddy Bears and Decorated)Duffel Bags
• Cards of Love for Hospitalized Children (CFHK)
• Bake & Package Cookies
• E3 Refreshment Sale
• Fight Hard Smile Big! Pedone Basketball or Turkey Bowl
• Organic Gardening
• Rise Against Hunger
• Black Tuesday Fundraiser
Principal Dennis said, “I am so proud of all of my North Shore Middle School students. They not only raised a lot of money (donations to be announced), but collaborated with their peers and worked hard together to benefit others here in our community and around the world.”
3veryone Cares Day proved that when North Shore Middle Schoolers are “All In” they could rise to the occasion, work together, pay it forward, and make a difference in the world! Many thanks to all of the students, community members, and faculty and staff that helped make this day a tremendous success. Please ask your children how they helped make a difference this 3veryone Cares Day at North Shore Middle School. Happy Thanksgiving!
Article by Shelly Newman
Photos by MS teachers and Shelly Newman