GLENWOOD LANDING C.R.E.W. FESTIVAL
C.R.E.W. 2020 Red Carpet Readers and Writers
On January 10th, Glenwood Landing began its month long C.R.E.W. (Curious Readers Enthusiastic Writers) festival with an exciting school-wide assembly celebrating 30 years of C.R.E.W. This year, the C.R.E.W. committee proudly stated that the theme was “Readers as Leaders.” Students have been encouraged all month to read books about fiction, poetry, non-fiction, biographies, and science fiction, just to name a few and write about them. The enjoyable ceremony was filled with songs and a presentation summarizing all of the educational activities that will take place during the month of January 2020.
Some exciting events for C.R.E.W. this year include (to name a few):
- Special visit by famous guest author Dan Gutman, his works include the Baseball Card Adventures and the My Weird School children's book series
- Red Carpet Trivia Jumble children
- Class Buddy Reading & Writing, inter-classes share reading and writing together
- St. Jude StoryQuest, which includes raising money for children with cancer
- S.T.E.A.M Red Carpet Challenge which will tie in S.T.E.A.M. activities with the C.R.E.W. theme utilizing pieces of carpet
- C.R.E.W. Button Contest, a favorite activity where each student participated in drawing the new C.R.E.W. button.
- Red Carpet Book Review
While students read and write all year long, the month of C.R.E.W. reinforces these skills by continuing to focus on genres including poetry, fairytales, non-fiction, personal narratives, biographies, memoirs, and picture books. Additionally, many, many library activities will take place throughout the month.
During C.R.E.W., students will be challenged to read more books than the year before!
In February, there will be a closing ceremony to culminate the C.R.E.W. festival. Many thanks go out to the teachers, staff, the C.R.E.W. committee, and the Glenwood Landing School-Community Association (SCA) who are all essential in the success of this event.
Article and photos by Shelly Newman